For direct online access to VA benefits and resources, create an account here.

If you’re the child, or the spouse, of a veteran who’s passed away or is disabled, you might qualify to get help paying for school or job tutelage.

It’s because of the Survivor’s and Dependents’ Educational Assistance program (DEA), an option for dependents that can greatly lessen the impact and burden of student debt.

If you qualify, it’s possible to get up to about $1,000 every month, for 45 months (the payment is sent to your school or institution).

It’s good for college or graduate degrees, career training certificate courses, apprenticeships and even on-the-job training. For specific rules on qualification, as well as a link to apply, click here.

Note: You cannot use both DEA and the Fry Scholarship in tandem, unless you’re the child of a service member who died in the line of duty before August 1, 2011, in which case you could qualify for up to 81 months of payments.