For direct online access to VA benefits and resources, create an account here.

Veterans or surviving spouses who already receive pension payments through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) can receive additional payments if they qualify for two programs, Aid and Attendance (A&A) or Housebound allowance/benefits. However, a vet cannot get payments from both of these simultaneously (on top of their pension).

How Does A&A and Housebound Allowance Work?

A&A: If you’re a vet (or a surviving spouse) who receives a VA pension, and you need help with daily activities like bathing or dressing or feeding, or if you stay in bed all day or a large portion of the day because of a disability, or if you’re a patient in a nursing home due to a mental or physical illness or injury, or if your eyesight is severely limited (5/200 even with contacts or eyeglasses) you may be eligible to receive this additional monthly payment.

Housebound Benefits/Allowance: If you get VA pension payments and spend most of the time in your home because of permanent disability, you may be eligible for this benefit.

How Can A Veteran Apply For These Additional Payments?

You can write to the Pension Management Center (PMC) that handles your state (find it here) OR you can apply in person (find a regional benefits office near you, here).

What to fill out/include (when you send a letter to the PMC or visit a regional benefits office):

– Have your doctor fill out this form. Remember, you can securely message your doctor or other members of your medical team here.

– A description of your day-to-day activities and how you accomplish them — like getting to places and bathing, etc.

Once your claim is filed, you can check on its status and track it by going here

For more information on A&A and Housebound Allowance, check out this page.