For direct online access to VA benefits and resources, create an account here.

The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill can help pay for a former or current service member’s entire education (and, sometimes, even their loved one’s).

You can check on your Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits by clicking here.

But what happens when its reached its limit — having run into higher out-of-state, private or graduate school tuition that it can’t cover?

A veteran can reach for their wallet, or take out a loan. OR they can turn to the Yellow Ribbon Program.

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision in the G.I. Bill that can help veterans or qualified dependents avoid out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with programs that may exceed the primary allotment.

How Can I Get It?

You qualify for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill AND your school takes part in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Here’s a list of the schools that participate.

You’ll need to apply for Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you haven’t yet, you can do it here.

Once you have the COE, take it to your school’s certifying official, financial aid, military liaison or other office (as determined by the school). Then ask if you can apply into the Yellow Ribbon Program.

After, wait for the school’s decision. Remember, enrollment is on a first-come, first-serve basis — and the entitlement they may or may not grant is determined by adding up tuition and mandatory fees, then subtracting any specific aid you’ve gotten from other sources.

For more information on the program, click here.