For direct online access to VA benefits and resources, create an account here.

Any service member of veteran can file a disability claim by clicking here. Additionally, if you’ve already filed a claim (or an appeal) you can track its status by clicking here.

If you or a loved one want to file a claim but need some assistance, you may obtain help with this process as well as other VA-related services by finding/contacting an accredited representative. This professional is well-versed in the VA system and how it works and most likely works for a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) — private nonprofits that exist to advocate on behalf of veterans, service members and their families.

For more information on how one becomes an accredited representative (credentials, exams, etc.) as well as what they’re experts at, click here.

How to Get an Accredited Representative to Help With Filing a Claim

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) suggests two primary avenues to find an accredited representatives. One is an eBenefits search function, and the other is the VA Office of General Counsel’s list. Links for both can be found here under “How do I find an accredited representative?”.

You can also fill out this form, and send it to a VA regional office nearest you (to find the office nearest you, click here).


Most VSOs offer their services free of charge. However, if you use a claims agent or an attorney, they may charge a fee. For more information on this, and for resources to help challenge such a fee you think is excessive or erroneous, click here (under the title “What does it cost to use an accredited representative”).