Refer to this page to find out more information about VA Life Insurance, claims for disabled policyholders, and how to manage your policy.

The following is a comprehensive guide of the different life insurance programs offered by the VA to help you know which one works best for you.

Service Members’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)


– Active-duty member of any military branch

– Commissioned member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or the U.S. Public Health Service

– Cadet or midshipman of the U.S. military academies OR a member of an ROTC program in authorized training and practice cruises

– Member or volunteer of the Ready Reserve or National Guard, assigned to a unit, and scheduled to perform at least 12 periods of inactive training per year


– Coverage up to $400,000 – in $50,000 increments

– Coverage can be extended for up to two years (if you are totally disabled) when you leave the military

– Part-time coverage options if you are a Reserve member who doesn’t qualify for full-time coverage

Learn more

Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI)


– Members of the National Guard or Reserves who had part-time SGLI coverage, and suffered an injury or disability on duty

– Service members who had SGLI when in the military, and are within 1 year and 120 days of being released from an active-duty period of 31 or more days

– Service members who are within 1 year and 120 days of retiring or being released from Ready Reserves or National Guard

– Service members who are within 1 year and 120 days of assignment to the IRR of a branch of service, or to the ING

– Service members who are within 1 year and 120 days of being put on TDRL


– Ability to convert full-time SGLI coverage to VGLI after separation

– Coverage of $10,000 to $400,000, based on the amount of SGLI coverage you had when you left the military

Learn more

Family Service Members’ Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)


– Spouses and children of active-duty member with full-time SGLI coverage

– Spouses and children of a member of the National Guard or Ready reserve with full-time SGLI coverage


– Coverage up to $100,000 for a spouse, not to exceed service member’s SGLI coverage

– Coverage up to $10,000 for each dependent child (dependent children get free coverage)

Learn more

Service Members’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI)


– Service members who were already insured by SGLI when they experienced a traumatic injury


– Have schedules loss that is a direct result of the traumatic injury

– Suffered the traumatic injury before midnight on the day that you left the military

– Suffered a scheduled loss within 200 days of the traumatic injury

– Have survived for a period of not less than 7 full days from the date of the traumatic injury

– Were an active-duty military member, a Reservist, a National Guard member, on funeral-honors duty, or on 1-day muster duty.

– Some injuries are excluded, check here for more information.


– You may be able to get retroactive TSGLI if you were injured between October 7, 2001, and November 30, 2005, and you meet all of the TSGLI qualifications

– $25,000 to $100,000 of short-term financial support to help with recovery

– Payments to service members who suffer losses, such as amputations, blindness, and paraplegia

Learn more

Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI)


– Veterans

– Were released from active duty under other than dishonorable conditions on or after April 25, 1951


– Were rated for a service connection for any disability, even if it is just 0%

– Good health except for any service connected disabilities

– Apply within 2 years from the date we grant your new service connected disability


– If needed, a service member can apply to get more life insurance coverage if needed (Supplementary S-DVI)

– Coverage up to $10,000

– Supplementary coverage up to $30,000

Learn more

Veterans’ Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)


– Service members or veterans

– If you have a severe disability


– Received a Specially Adapted Housing grant to buy, build, or renovate a home (so that you can live more independently)

– Have the title of the home

– Have a mortgage on the home

– Are under 70 years old


– Coverage up to $200,000 in mortgage life insurance – paid directly to the bank or other lender that holds mortgage

Learn more