You might expect the most martial military society to have produced some ridiculously metal quotes. And you would be right.
1. “These are Sparta’s walls.” Spartan King Agesilaus while pointing to his men after someone asked him why Sparta lacked fortifications.
2. “Then when you are silent you are worthless.” King Agis’ reply to an Athenian who claimed that speech was the most powerful weapon of all.
3. “Come and take them.” King Leonidas refusing to lay down his weapons.
4. “It will be the size of a lion when I bore down my enemies.” An unnamed soldier explaining why he drew a fly on his shield instead of a more intimidating animal.
5. “Freedom is what we reap from this way of life.” King Agesilaus explaining why Spartans lived such an austere lifestyle.
6. “Either with your shield or on it.” Common saying among Spartan women who wanted men to return from war victorious or die trying.
7. “So that we may get close to the enemy.” A young Spartan explaining why they fought with short swords.
Even in our modern military, it’s tough to reach this level of renegade without getting a little help on the side. Time to learn from our ancient ancestors and toughen up, America.