Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

A sailor the United States Navy believes fell overboard while serving on the USS Shiloh while it performed “routine operations” a few hundred miles off the coast of Japan last week has been identified.

This from Military.com:

Petty Officer 3rd Class Peter Mims, a gas turbine systems technician on the Yokosuka-based guided-missile cruiser, has been missing since 9.30 p.m. June 8 and is presumed to have fallen overboard, a Navy statement said.

The Shiloh’s crew conducted multiple searches of the ship and Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and Japan Coast Guard ships have spent more than 50 hours searching for Mims in a 5,500 square mile area, the statement said.

Helicopters and other aircraft from the Shiloh, USS McCampbell, USS Barry, USS John S. McCain and the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan assisted in the search before it was suspended on Sunday, the statement said.

The sailor joined the service in 2014, and earned a number of awards — including the Overseas Service Ribbon — while in uniform.

Officials said an investigation surrounding the disappearance is ongoing.

Mims is the second sailor in a week to vanish after presumably falling off a Navy vessel. On June 6, Petty Officer Christopher Calvin was reported missing on a ship at sea off North Carolina.

Sadly, after 76 hours of searching, authorities couldn’t find any trace of the service member.

UPDATE: Some very, very good news from the officers on the USS Shiloh

This from Stars and Stripes:

YOKOSUKA NAVAL BASE, Japan – A missing USS Shiloh sailor who was presumed to have fallen overboard has been found alive aboard the ship, Navy officials announced in a statement Thursday.

Navy officials released few details but said Petty Officer 3rd Class Peter Mims will be transferred to the USS Ronald Regan for a medical evaluation and then will receive a recommendation for follow on care.

Navy Times reported that Mims may have hid himself in one of the engine rooms. It remains unclear how Mims, who has been missing since June 8, survived and avoided crew searches of the ship.

Navy officials suspended the search for Mims on June 11.

During the search, the Shiloh’s crew conducted multiple searches of the ship. Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force and Japan Coast Guard ships spent more than 50 hours searching for Mims in a 5,500 square mile area.

Helicopters and other aircraft from the Shiloh, USS McCampbell, USS Barry, USS John S. McCain and the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan also assisted in the search before it was suspended.

SECOND UPDATE: Mims will have to face the music soon.

According to the Navy Times, he was transferred to a brig this week in California before “possible court-martial charges.”

Stay tuned to this post for more news about this developing story.